Post #3 Overview and Analyze

As pointed out in my reply to Post #1, we have organized the Coderr functions around what we think you are likely to want to do there and then. This means a cleaner interface in the Discover and Analyze views, respectively.

The Discover area is meant to give you a snapshot of the latest errors with a graphical display for a quick view. You can detect how many errors have been generated before finding more details and prioritizing. The Analyze view contains context information for the errors that have been assigned to you. Here, you will decide what course of action to take next. To help further, we have updated and made the documentation clearer on how to work with the errors. Please look at https://coderr.io/documentation/.

Again, we would love some feedback on your take on how we organized things. Anything is fine, but here are some questions that we have in mind:

• Are the way things are organized now better than before and fit how you would like to work?
  • Is Discover and Analyze self-explanatory or how could it be clearer?
  • Do you think there is enough advice on how to work with the different features and how to get the most out them? If no, what would you like to see and how (document, Q/A, short video)?

You can give your thoughts here or on the forum or send us an email help@coderr.io. We will not post any questions you might have identifying the sender.

Thank you for wanting to try our new version of Coderr Community Server,

The Coderr Team

First your bulletpoints:

• The organization is way better. Previously, there wasn’t much organization besides differentiating applications. The path you take with every incident is now better thought-through; first you discover what’s been going wrong, then you analyze those incidents and finally you resolve them.
  • At first, coming from V1, it was a bit unclear to me what I was supposed to do. In V1, you clicked an application, and you saw the incidents so you could dive right in. So I’m not sure if it’s self-explanatory right off the bat, or that the meaning becomes clear after using the system for a while.
  • Following up on item 2, I think there could be some more info. Like a roadmap/usecase example for first time users, where it gets explained that you first discover what’s been going wrong etc. This is especially crucial for new users, since there won’t be any applications or exceptions. People love visual explanations so a youtube video would be good I guess, or some docs with images. When going to the docs, it goes into customizing error reporting pretty fast - I don’t see much about generally using the dashboard.

Then a personal point:

• When in the Discover page, the ‘Search’ button undersells what it does. When at first glance, it’s not that evident to me that everything pretty much starts under search. I’d personally use search only when I can’t just find it by browsing. I’m not sure what else to call it though. Perhaps just ‘incidents’, because that’s what you’re drilling into, whether by just scrolling or searching.

I have to say that the current documentation structure is not very evident to me :stuck_out_tongue:

The docs link is not something that’s visible on the site, is that for in-app use only? However, the ‘Guides and support’ page is very promising and much better - I like the clear structure & layout. It could use more content though. And perhaps a new category, ie. ‘using coderr’ or ‘using the dashboard’.

Also, when going to ‘Installation’, ‘installation’ leads to the same page into a loop. Only beta installation works. When going to ‘prioritizing errors’, the partitions link doesn’t work either. ‘Attaching context information’ doesn’t work at all. Lastly, it always says ‘page list’ twice. But those are just some UI tweaks.

The documentation is high up on our todo list.

Both to make sure that the structure is OK and also to document how you can work with different features in the UI.

Some functions are also missing like the ability to filter reports before they are being sent:

public class MyFilter : IReportFilter
    {
        public void Invoke(ReportFilterContext context)
        {
            var collection = context.Report.ContextCollections.FirstOrDefault(x => x.Name == "SensitiveInformation");
            collection?.Properties.Remove("UserId");
        }
    }

Err.Configuration.FilterCollection.Add(new MyFilter());

All docs issues have been fixed. Working on more content.